Monday, February 6, 2012

Breakfast for dinner

We don't do it often...and I'm not really sure why not. We all seem to like breakfast food at dinner time. I ran across a recipe after a friend shared the site 100 Days of Real Food with me. The recipe was for Breakfast Casserole Bites. I thought it looked easy enough to do on a spur of the moment, we already had all the ingredients (a huge plus!), something K could help with (and do a good amount of), and pretty yummy. It was also something that would freeze well for an easy breakfast another day. Those are all important components.

Something I learned about myself tonight. I cannot crack eggs successfully. I think I spent more time coaxing little pieces of eggshell out of the bowl than I did at anything else in this dish. Yes, I said coaxing...because I really was talking to them, trying to convince them to come out because those little boogers are hard to get! I've never been a big egg person and it definitely showed tonight. I need more practice crackin' those suckers open! Maybe we'll make this dish more often (different variations of it) so I'll get to practice.

Here are a few pictures I took along the way. My trusty assistant is always very helpful.

I cut the bread but he distributed it. His task was to put 3 bread cubes in each circle. It was funny to watch how he did it....so determined and precise. He was a little upset when he accidentally put 4 in one circle. We worked it out though and gave a few of the circles 4...you know, because 4 is the magic number these days. Everything becomes "because I'm going to be 4 on my birthday". ;)


The beginnings of the 'bites' (bread + egg mixture).


With the bacon and cheese. Although the recipe called for them, I skipped the foil muffin liners all together. Rebel in the kitchen, haha. I was hoping the cheese wouldn't cause this to be a disaster. I was worried it would stick to the edges, even with the cooking spray. You might notice that I went left to right with the bacon. The bacon started out a little more sparse in the beginning (on the left).


So I decided to add MORE! Who doesn't love crunchy bacon?!


Here is the finished product. Turns out the cheese didn't cause them to stick and the bacon sunk a little.


The verdict from my trusty assistant....


We'll attempt this again. I think next time we'll skip the bread and add more ingredients....kind of making them into omelet bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment