Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Creamy or crunchy?

That's what I initially thought when I saw the front of the most recent Reader's Digest. Why? Because there is a big peanut on the front and I like LOVE peanut butter. Unfortunately, this issue had nothing to do with peanut butter.

However, the title article was:



Well...isn't that something I wonder on a normal basis? So, I turned to page 126 to find out my fate.  This article had several questions from "readers like you" and whose questions were analyzed by their "panel of psychiatrists, psychologists, and other therapists".

One of the questions was from a 50 year old who was wondering if it was normal to have trouble recalling people's names. Verdict was yes, that's normal, it happens with age and that's why older people start calling everyone by "sweetie, champ or buddy". (Which, for the record, is NOT why I call my kid 'buddy') :)

Another was from someone who wondered if having crazy dreams and feeling like they're real after waking up was normal. Verdict was not nuts.

Then I came across mine. Yes, there is one here that applies pretty directly to me. :/  I have this thing...a pet peeve if you will...about repetitive noises.  Before I get to that I have to share this pic I found.  So true!

You know the repetitive noises I'm talking about....constant pen clicking in the office, or gum smacking, or blinkers, you get the idea. Anything that is repetitive like that gets on my last nerve. (Oddly enough though, typing does not. Weird, huh?) It's gotten worse recently to where I seriously cannot focus. It is super distracting and it is almost like my blood starts boiling and I can't sit still. It doesn't make me angry or anything...just VERY agitated and anxious. I don't know why or when it started but luckily, my coworkers (and family, on occasion) humor me and stop when I ask.

ANYWAY...this question was from a person who asked, "When people are eating, I can't stand the sound of a fork or spoon clanking on a plate or bowl. I get chills, nauseated, and a headache. I'm also sickened by the sound of people chewing with their mouths open. Is there something wrong with me?"

The verdict: Possibly nuts.

Lovely. Who knew...there IS actually a name for this...um, condition. It is called MISOPHONIA. What? Seriously?

So as I do with so many other things, I went straight to Google. You can too Here...if you want to. Now, in all seriousness, I am not going to say that I actually HAVE this condition, but it is interesting all the same. I will admit to being just a LITTLE bit nuts though...on occasion. :)

It's a pretty good Reader's Digest this month. I've gotten a few interesting things out of it. For example, who knew that PIE was on it's way 'out' and doughnuts were 'in'. Really? I didn't see that coming. How about the 13 things your Pediatrician won't tell you? Good to know.  I always like the humor sections. Lastly, I like the quotes. I think they used to be called Quotable Quotes. Michael J. Fox was speaking to me in this quote section. "If you fixate on the worst-case scenario, and it actually happens, you've lived it twice". Well....how profound. Me, the person who looks at every possible way something could go, and usually gets wrapped around the worst case, needed to see that quote today. I'm not saying I'll stop, but that sort of puts things in perspective. 

For those of you who are here to see K, we had a dinner of champions: grilled cheese, oranges, clementines (don't let me get that name wrong in front of him) and milk. After dinner we practiced our "Eww, eww, light blue" song (light blue = UNC Tarheels). Being Pack fans, we root for pretty much anyone who plays Carolina, but tonight is a big rivalry game - Duke vs UNC so we're definitely rooting for the Blue Devils!  Yes, the video sounds a little 'coached'. I'm not sure what his deal is. When he was doing it for fun it was so cute but as soon as I turned the camera on, this is the best I could get.



He also made up a new song...sort of. JT has Red Solo Cup as the song we hear when we call him so it is frequently stuck in my head. Tonight we ate on red Solo plates so K started singing: Red Solo plate, I fill you up...with dinner....with dinner". It was pretty cute.



I think that'll do it for tonight. Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment